Saturday, September 6, 2014

Some Subtle Differences Between the 850 and the 417

My home is in Crestview, Florida in the panhandle of the Gulf Coast. Which if you're unfamiliar looks like this...

The 850 is both coastal and southern, a beautiful blend of manners, sunshine, and fishing. I love my home and wouldn't trade it for anywhere else. Well for the past few years I've had to live in Springfield, Missouri for schooling. Great University, but the 417 is SO different than what I'm used to.

So here are a few things that are different between the 850 and the 417...

Missourians think they are very "southern", I agree they are "country", but not "Southern", in my opinion. Ya'll may be below the Mason Dixon line, but let me remind you that so is Maryland... that doesn't make you a "Southern" state. Embrace the Midwest my dears.

http://redclayandroses1.wordpress.com/tag/mason-dixon/

 Missourians are Ozark people and by their flair and lifestyles, I would dub them Hillbillies. Corn-shucking, banjo playing, moonshine making, Hillbillies. 
The 850 on the other hand has Rednecks... basically white trash with a lot of pride. Mullets, trailors, and the rebel flag in all decor.


Another difference I've noticed is fashion....
The typical Missourian is a Hipster. They wear clothes refurbished from the thrift store, shoes that support children in Africa, and glasses too thick to even be comfortable. 


Southern peeps on the other hand are the exact opposite of hipster. We wear what everyone else is wearing. For ladies almost everything we own is monogrammed. Guys love their Sperry's, and we all wear Guy Harvey, and Salt Life over sized T-shirts.



If you tell somone from the 417 that you want to go on a "Float Trip", this is what they think...

When you tell someone from the 850 that you're going on a "Float Trip", this is what they think... We call it tubing.. not saying one or the other is better, it' just different.

When Missourians go to the "beach", it looks like this...


When Floridians go to the beach it looks like this...
Disney to the Missourian...
Disney to the Floridian...


How Missourians dress for game day...
How Florida Southern girls dress for game day... this isn't just a football game, this is fashion event!




 and NO boiled peanuts ANYWHERE!!!! what is this!!!???
Where Missourians go to get ice cream...

Where people on the Emerald Coast go to get Ice Cream...


Oh! and the 417 doesn't have Publix...crying shame... 

Here are some Southern phrases the Missourian may not be familiar with:
"Ya'll" - You all... just say it you know you want to. It makes life so much easier!!!
"Bless your heart"- I feel sorry for you. This can either be good or bad...
"Kin" -related/family, as is  "We're all kin here". 
"Southern"- Where the rednecks roam... aka NOT Missouri or Arkansas. 
"Reckon"- I think...
"Fixin to"- I'm about to do something. 
"Hot Mess"- not put together like a sweet southern belle should be. 
"Coon's Age"- long time


Oh, and southern people have been using the mason jar for like a century. So please don;t think you're so hipster by using one. 
 
 And seriously... where are all the other races??? The 417 is like the whitest place I've ever seen....
 
"Show Me" State... Show you what?????!!!!
 Some Sunshine Maybe????


When storms come to the Midwest, they take cover and are prepared...
When storms come to the gulf...
However when snow comes our way, we basically shut down entire cities and go in to a state of hysteria.


So in all this being said, I poke fun at the 417, but I'm learning to love it here and the people are pretty great. Even though I love the south and am anxious to return, Springfield has become my home away from home and I'm happy here. :)


1 comment:

  1. Ha, this is not MISSOURI or 417 culture, this is all SPRINGFIELD culture! You have to go outside Southern. Accents, "ya'll" and all. I promise.

    ReplyDelete